By Hollie Silverman | CNN
California sent 35 disaster specialists to Puerto Rico following a series of earthquakes that have caused extensive damage and power outages on the Island.
Governor Gavin Newsom announced the plan Saturday after a 5.9 earthquake shook the island still recovering from a week of quakes and tremblors.
The team of specialists departed from Sacramento International Airport for San Juan, Puerto Rico Sunday morning, according to tweets from the California Governor’s Office of Emergency Services.
“California stands with the people of Puerto Rico,” Governor Newsom said in the press release. “Our nation-sized state knows first-hand the devastating toll of natural disasters and we will provide aid and support as our brothers and sisters rebuild and recover.”
Disaster specialists from different fields
Those on the team include experts in incident and emergency management, engineering and safety assessment, planning, and public information as well as debris management and crisis counseling, a press release from the agency said.
The team will deploy for 16 days and will include members of the California Department of Social Services, CalRecycle, Caltrans and the Division of the State Architect within the Department of General Services, according to the release.
“The destruction by these earthquakes is clearly severe and widespread,” Cal OES Director Mark Ghilarducci said in the release. “Here in California, we have some of the most talented and experienced emergency management staff in the world. We are ready to provide their valuable skill sets to our partners in Puerto Rico.”
Earlier in the week, four California Urban Search and Rescue team members from Sacramento City Fire and the Orange County Fire Authority were dispatched to Puerto Rico to assist with search and rescue operations.
The possibility of more quakes has increased
Following Saturday’s quake the United States Geological Service reported that the probability for an aftershock of 6.0 magnitude of higher in Puerto Rico had increased to 12%.
There is a 4% chance of one or more aftershocks larger than a 6.4 magnitude, according to an aftershock forecast released by the agency.
The 5.9 magnitude shock increased the risk and changed the seven day forecast previously put out by the agency.
USGS also announced that a 3.0 magnitude or greater aftershock was “highly likely” after Saturday’s quake.
The rate of aftershocks will decline over time but may be felt near the epicenters, the aftershock forecast said. Any additional large aftershocks would change the forecast again.
Estimates of $110 million in damages
Gov. Wanda Vázquez Garced signed a major disaster declaration on Saturday, asking the federal government for additional federal aid for the southern towns of Guanica, Guayanilla, Peñuelas, Ponce and Yauco.
Magnitude 3.3 earthquake jolts Gilroy, Aromas area
Magnitude 5.9 temblor rocks quake-stunned Puerto Rico
About two-thirds of Puerto Rico remains without power
6.4 quake strikes Puerto Rico amid heavy …read more
Source:: The Mercury News – Nation, World