Former Broncos quarterback Chad Kelly, who was arrested last year after stumbling into an Englewood couple’s home following a Halloween party, is accused in a lawsuit of assaulting a videographer at the same event, breaking the man’s nose while causing a concussion.
In a lawsuit originally filed in Arapahoe County District Court, Jackson Belcher claims that he was working at Broncos linebacker Von Miller’s party at the Gothic Theatre in Englewood on Oct. 22, 2018, when Kelly confronted him out of nowhere and shoved him before punching him in the nose.
“Kelly was obviously intoxicated, enraged and highly aggressive,” the lawsuit said, adding that the quarterback was “belligerent, angry and out of control.” Belcher, the lawsuit said, had never met Kelly, and did nothing to provoke his attack.
The lawsuit was filed Oct. 17, but TMZ Sports first reported on it Tuesday.
Belcher is seeking relief for claims for assault, battery, negligence and extreme and outrageous conduct. The videographer underwent four surgeries after the incident, according to the lawsuit, and was unable to work for four months afterward.
Doctors told Belcher that “if he had been hit 1 centimeter to the left, he very well may have died from the injuries,” the lawsuit said.
Kelly, through his attorneys, denied the allegations in a response to the complaint filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court, where the lawsuit was transferred.
His lawyer, April Moore, declined comment to The Denver Post.
For the 25-year-old Kelly, the incident marks the latest in what has been a tumultuous college and NFL career.
He pleaded guilty in March to misdemeanor second-degree criminal trespassing after stumbling into an Englewood home, sitting on the couch and mumbling incoherently. After finding the NFL player in his home, a man attacked Kelly with an aluminum vacuum-cleaner tube.
Two days after his October 2018 arrest, the Broncos released Kelly.
Former Broncos backup QB Chad Kelly pleads guilty for trespassing in Englewood couple’s home
Chad Kelly video: Surveillance footage shows former Broncos QB being chased out of home
Broncos release quarterback Chad Kelly following arrest
After being out of football for the remainder of 2018, the quarterback signed in May with the Indianapolis Colts, where he has been serving as the team’s third-string signal-caller. Kelly — drafted by Denver with its last pick in the 2017 draft — has not stepped foot on the field this season.
His college tenure also was marked by run-ins with the law and coaches, including a bar fight in 2014 and a brawl at a high school football game in 2016.
Source:: The Denver Post – Sports