An airline’s paint scheme offers onlookers a taste of a carrier’s values or its culture’s ethos.
Some airlines update paint schemes once every few years while others remain unchanged for decades.
A successful design can make an airline instantly recognizable. Think Pan Am.
Sign up for Business Insider’s transportation newsletter, Shifting Gears, to get more stories like this in your inbox.
Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
As airlines and airplanes have evolved, so have their “liveries” — the exterior designs, including paint colors and logos, on the aircraft.
As planes crisscross the globe, their exterior graphics not only represent the companies that operate them but in many instances also serve as visual ambassadors for their respective homelands.
A great airline livery gives onlookers a taste of a carrier’s values or its culture’s ethos in an attractive and effective color scheme.
Airlines like Southwest, Spirit, and American have updated their liveries in recent years, with mixed results.
Others have hit home runs. Here’s a selection of 16 airline exterior designs that look simply amazing.
This article was originally published by Benjamin Zhang in June 2017. It was updated by David Slotnick in December 2019.
SEE ALSO: RANKED: The 10 best economy-class airlines in the world
FOLLOW US: on Facebook for more car and transportation content!
16. Nok Air. The low-cost Thai airline paints its planes with a distinctive and fun bird face, with a friendly little creature on the tail.
15. British Airways: With a waving Union Jack adorning the tail, British Airways delivers a modern take on traditional British elegance.
14. Malaysia Airlines: Even though the A380’s future in the airline’s fleet remains uncertain, the plane’s blue and white livery is unquestionably beautiful.
13. Etihad. Over the past decade, the Etihad has become a global aviation powerhouse and one of the Persian Gulf’s trio of mega-carriers. The Abu Dhabi-based airline’s sandy paint scheme features multi-colored geometric shapes representing the shifting desert dunes surround the emirate.
12. China Southern Airlines: Based out its hub in the city of Guangzhou, China Southern is the Middle Kingdom’s largest airline. Its elegant exterior design features a combination of multiple hues of blue with its tail dominated by a brilliant red kapok flower.
11. Virgin Atlantic Airways: As with all Virgin Group companies, Virgin Atlantic carries Richard Branson’s signature corporate logo. Even though it’s been around in various iterations for a few of decades now, the design still looks as modern and stylish as it did on the day it debuted.
10. La Compagnie: The trendy upstart airline may be all about delivering luxury on a budget, but the Parisian carrier’s blue-and-black paint scheme is stylish at any price point.
9. Swiss International Airlines: Swiss International’s white-and-red design is pure understated style.
8.Fiji Airways: The recently re-branded Air Pacific is the national airline of Fiji. Its tribal-esque exterior is evocative of the island’s rich native culture.
7. All Nippon Airways (ANA): Japan’s ANA painted a few of its jets with Star Wars themed liveries to coincide with the release of the latest films in …read more
Source:: Business Insider