Midwives rolled their eyes at my pain. Hours later my baby boy was gone

Bhavna in hospital, holding Joshan

Bhavna holding Joshan (Picture: Bhavna Bhargava)

Scrolling through my phone, I came across the video of my son, Jaiden, finding out that he was going to be a big brother.

My husband, Vijay, and I had just come home from the three-month scan. 

As soon as we told our little boy – who was five years old at the time – the good news, he excitedly burst out ‘congratulations!’ to us.

Every time I watch this video, it makes me cry. We were all so happy then.

Then I suffered birth trauma – like 30,000 women tragically do in the UK every year – and lost my baby boy.

It was a completely normal and healthy pregnancy.

I loved seeing Jaiden’s growing excitement; he even eagerly went up to the loft to bring down his old buggy and pram for his new sibling.

But on the Saturday of the last bank holiday weekend in May, I started feeling small contractions. Jaiden was busy drawing a sunny picture of all of us as a family.

By Sunday morning, the contractions were getting more frequent so I called my local maternity unit and they said to just carry on as normal unless the pain intensified. I even had a spicy Nando’s to help induce labour.

By 8pm, we were back at home and things started escalating quickly. I went to the toilet and noticed blood. 

Bhavna (C) with her husband Vijay (R) and son Jaiden (L) on holiday, at a beach (Picture: Bhavna Bhargava)

Within 15 minutes, the sanitary towel was more covered – and the pain was quite bad.

In the time it took us to get to hospital – no more than 10 minutes – I was in excruciating pain. In fact, I couldn’t even put my seatbelt on because I couldn’t deal with any more pressure on my back.

A nurse examined me and said I was 7cm dilated so took me down to the delivery suite in a wheelchair because I couldn’t walk.

That’s when staff tried to use a cardiotocograph to try to monitor my baby’s heartbeat. Unfortunately, as I couldn’t sit still, the strap around my belly kept clipping off or the monitor confused my heart rate with the baby’s.

I found out later that, after my waters broke, a fetal scalp electrode (FSE) – which is a small clip that is attached to the baby’s scalp to record the baby’s heartbeat – should have been used to provide a continuous and more accurate recording of the heart rate.

We had it for Jaiden because it was a long labour then, but staff told us there were none available on this occasion.

Bhavna (R) with her huband Vijay (L) and son Jaiden (C) on holiday (Picture: Bhavna Bhargava)

I remember looking at Vijay and saying ‘this pain is something else’ and he just knew I was serious. I repeated this to the midwives and my husband later told me that he noticed some rolling their …read more

Source:: Metro


(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *