It’s easy to update your Slack status on desktop or mobile.
You can set your status on Slack to show that you’re out of the office, away at lunch, in a meeting, and more.
Your Slack status can be anything you choose, and you can even pick an emoji to go with it.
To set your Slack status in the desktop app, click your avatar; in the mobile app, tap the “You” icon.
Visit Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
Social media is built on status updates, short messages that let you quickly tell everyone around how you’re doing and what you’re up to. And although it isn’t a traditional social media app, Slack uses status updates too.
Your Slack status can be up to 100 characters long, and include anything you like. It’s great for signaling when you’re away from your desk, if you’re in a meeting, sharing a pithy joke – anything you want others to know. It’ll be accompanied by an emoji of your choice, which will show up next to your name on every message.
Here’s how to set your Slack status using the desktop app or mobile app. No matter which way you set it, it’ll appear to every user in your workspace.
Note: If you’re looking for Slack’s system status, which tracks and reports whether Slack is working or not, head to Slack’s official system status page here.
How to set your Slack status on desktop
This works in both the Slack website client and downloadable desktop app.
1. Open Slack and log into your account. If you’re a member of multiple workspaces, open up the workspace that you want to set your status in.
2. Click your avatar in the top-right corner of the window and then click Update your status.
Your avatar will be tiny, stuffed up in the top-right corner.
3. A pop-up will appear with some options. Use the text field at the top to type in your status – it can be up to 100 characters long – and then click the emoji on its left side to pick an icon that’ll appear next to your name.
Quick tip: Depending on the workplace, you might also have some preset options you can pick from. Click one of those options to set it as your status immediately.
4. Once you’ve typed your status, use the Clear after option to choose how long you’d like the status to last. You can pick one of several preset dates, or Choose date and time to set a custom length. If you’re going on vacation, for instance, you might set it to clear on the day you come back to work.
Type your status and choose how long it should last.
5. When you’re done, click Save.
An emoji will now appear next to your name on every message you send and on your profile. When other desktop users hover over the emoji or open your profile, they’ll see your status.
Your new status will appear on your Slack profile …read more
Source:: Business Insider