News

Fire brigade rescues man dangling from third-floor window after e-bike explodes


Grabs Firefighters rescue man from e-bike fire

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web
browser that
supports HTML5
video

This is the moment a firefighter rescued a man dangling precariously from a window ledge after trying to escape an e-bike fire at a flat.

The blaze broke out in a third-floor apartment in Whitechapel at around 4.45am last Wednesday after a converted e-bike charging in the hallway exploded. 

Two people escaped from the flat through the door, but two men were unable leave as their exit was blocked by the fire.

One of the men tried to leave via a window and, as the video shows, ended up hanging off a ledge as a neighbour below held his legs.

Both men were rescued from separate windows by firefighters using ladders, said London Fire Bridage.

One woman was taken to hospital as a precaution for smoke inhalation.

Danny McLaughlin, 64, a neighbour who watched one of the rescues unfold and captured it on his phone, said: ‘I heard shouting that woke me up.

A firefighter rescues a man dangling off a window ledge as another man in the flat below holds his legs (Picture: London Fire Brigade)

‘I looked out of one of my windows and saw one of the men hanging from a third-floor window ledge in the neighbouring block.

‘His legs were being held, to stop him falling, by a neighbour in the window of the flat below the fire.  

‘There were lots of other residents watching what was going on including some who had left the block where the fire was. 

‘The fire brigade arrived quickly and a firefighter climbed a ladder which had been manoeuvred into position and the man was safely brought down.’

He said a lot of residents in his and surrounding blocks of flats are now worried about more e-bike or e-scooter fires happening and the risk they could be trapped or hurt.

Latest London news

Family of Clapham chemical attack victim give update from hospital bed

Moment armed gang storm in to London pub trying to rob customers

Man who stabbed music manager to death over watch is jailed for 31 years

To get the latest news from the capital visit Metro.co.uk’s London news hub.

The damage caused to the flat, where there were a number of e-bikes (Picture: London Fire Brigade)

The fire is being treated as accidental and is believed to have been caused by the failure of a lithium battery pack for a converted e-bike that was charging in the hallway of the flat.  

Borough Commander for Tower Hamlets, Richard Tapp, said: ‘This is sadly yet another example in our borough of the dangers e-bikes and e-scooters can pose if the battery fails catastrophically and catches fire.

‘This can be caused by reasons including counterfeit or unsafe products being sold online, the wrong charger being used, or if components are fitted or used incorrectly.’

The man and the firefighter come down the ladder (Picture: London Fire Brigade)

Commander Tapp said crews were on the scene within four minutes of the fire …read more

Source:: Metro

      

(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *