An Australian woman says Qantas killed her dog by leaving it on the tarmac in 100 degree heat during a flight delay

FILE PHOTO: Workers are seen near Qantas Airways, Australia's national carrier, Boeing 737-800 aircraft on the tarmac at Adelaide Airport, Australia, August 22, 2018. REUTERS/David Gray

An Australian woman is accusing Qantas of killing her dog after he was left on the tarmac in his crate on a 100-degree day while waiting to be loaded onto a delayed flight.
Kay Newman wrote on Facebook that Duke, her 5-year-old boxer, died on a Qantas flight from Sydney to Brisbane on December 19, 2019.
Qantas says that an “unexpected delay” meant the dog was kept on the tarmac for “longer than usual,” but that handlers insisted he was fine when they moved him.
Another dog, a bulldog named Frank, died on December 21, 2019, while in the cargo hold of a Qantas flight from Sydney to Melbourne.
Newman has started an online petition to pressure Qantas into reviewing its pet handling policies.
Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.

A woman in Western Australia says that Qantas is responsible for her dog’s death after he was left on the tarmac in a crate on a 100-degree day while waiting to get on a delayed flight.

In a Facebook post, Kay Newman described her experience traveling with Duke, her 5-year-old boxer, on a Qantas flight from Sydney to Brisbane on December 19, 2019.

“December 19 was a hot day,” she wrote. “The forecast for the day was 34 degrees Celsius (93 degrees Fahrenheit) but it reached 39 degrees Celsius (102 degrees Fahrenheit), probably a lot hotter out on the airport tarmac.”

According to the Australian Bureau of Meteorology, which has a weather observatory at Sydney Airport, the high that day was 39.3 degrees Celsius (102.7 degrees Fahrenheit).

Newman wrote her post on January 9, and Australian media began reported on it this week.

She says she was concerned about the heat but was reassured by Qantas freight staff that Duke “would only be kept on the tarmac for a few minutes and that he would be kept under cover until they were ready to put him on the plane.”

“I requested and was given permission to wait with Duke in the air-conditioned office until the last possible minute before he was placed in his crate for the flight,” she said.

Newman says she did everything to keep Duke cool, including placing frozen water bottles in his crate with him. But the flight was delayed, and when she peered out the window near the boarding gates, she saw Duke’s crate was already on the tarmac.

“I’m not sure how long he’d already been there but as I watched, five, ten, fifteen minutes passed, and he was still out there, in the crate, in that heat,” she wrote.

She says she was distressed to see him out there, and explained to Qantas staff that boxers do not cope well in extreme heat.

“I was told that I needed to board as I was the last passenger and that Duke would now be loaded and that the cargo hold is air conditioned so he will be fine,” she wrote.

She said staff on the plane noticed her distress, and told the captain, who checked in …read more

Source:: Business Insider


(Visited 6 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *