“Ted Lasso,” Apple’s beloved comedy series about a team of British soccer misfits and their perpetually optimistic American football coach, dominated the 2021 Television Critics Association (TCA) awards, it was announced on Wednesday.
Bolstered by a standout lead performance by Jason Sudeikis and an exceptional ensemble cast, “Ted Lasso” captured three top honors for Outstanding New Program, Outstanding Achievement In Comedy, and Program Of The Year.
The impressive showing just might be a precursor to Sunday night’s 73rd Emmy Awards telecast (5 p.m. PT; 8 p.m. ET, CBS). Season 1 of “Ted Lasso” was showered with 20 Emmy nominations — the most ever for a freshman comedy (“Glee” held the previous record with 19 in 2010).
Other top TCA award winners include Michaela Coel (HBO’s “I May Destroy You” ), the FX documentary “Framing Britney Spears,” the Netflix royal drama series “The Crown,” and actress Jean Smart. The latter was a double winner, capturing the Individual Achievement in Comedy honor for her performance in HBO Max’s “Hacks” and earning the TCA’s Career Achievement award.
Winners were selected by the TCA’s membership of more than 200 professional TV critics and journalists from across the United States and Canada, each of whom cast their votes to determine top standouts from a diverse roster of stars and series. For the second straight year, the TCA did not hold an in-person awards night. In lieu of that, most of the winners thanked the critics via recorded video messages.
The TCA also proudly bestowed its Heritage Award upon beloved NBC sitcom “The Golden Girls.” Airing from 1985 to 1992, the series — which boasted an all-star ensemble featuring Betty White, Rue McClanahan, Bea Arthur, and Estelle Getty — revolutionized the prime-time landscape with its focus on four hilarious and headstrong older women, and using its relatable approach and deft sense of humor to tackle a wide range of issues such as elder care, homelessness, sexism, and ageism.
Smart’s Career Achievement honor celebrated he three-time Emmy winner’s acclaimed body of work beginning with her starring role as Charlene Frazier on “Designing Women,” and including roles on landmark series such as “24,” “Frasier,” and “Fargo,” as well as “Legion,” “Watchmen,” “Mare Of Easttown,” and “Hacks.”
Here is the complete list of 2021 TCA Award recipients:
● Individual Achievement In Drama: Michaela Coel (“I MAY DESTROY YOU,” HBO)
● Individual Achievement In Comedy: Jean Smart (“HACKS,” HBO Max)
● Outstanding Achievement In News and Information: “FRAMING BRITNEY SPEARS” (FX/FX On Hulu)
● Outstanding Achievement In Reality Programming: TIE: “COUPLES THERAPY” (Showtime), “DEAF U” (Netflix)
● Outstanding Achievement In Youth Programming: “THE BABY-SITTERS CLUB” (Netflix)
● Outstanding Achievement In Variety, Talk Or Sketch: “LAST WEEK TONIGHT WITH JOHN OLIVER” (HBO, 2018 & 2019 Winner In Category)
● Outstanding New Program: “TED LASSO” (Apple TV+)
● Outstanding Achievement In Movies, Miniseries, Or Specials: “MARE OF EASTTOWN” (HBO)
● Outstanding Achievement In Drama: “THE CROWN” (Netflix)
● Outstanding Achievement In Comedy: “TED LASSO” (Apple TV+)
● Program of the Year: “TED LASSO” (Apple TV+)
● Career Achievement Honoree:Jean Smart
● Heritage Award: “THE GOLDEN GIRLS” (NBC)
Source:: The Mercury News – Entertainment