Culture

Meghan Markle would love to live in L.A. — after Trump leaves office, report says


Before Meghan Markle married Prince Harry, she was a Hollywood actress filming a TV show in Canada who could speak her mind on any number of subjects, including the 2016 presidential election.

In May 2016, the future Duchess of Sussex famously went on Larry Wilmore’s short-lived talk show and called Donald Trump “divisive” and “misogynistic.” The self-proclaimed feminist also said she would abandon her native United States and stay in Canada if he were elected president because she was worried about “the kind of world that he’s painting.”

Queen Elizabeth II sits and laughs with Meghan, Duchess of Sussex during a ceremony to open the new Mersey Gateway Bridge on June 14, 2018 in the town of Widnes in Halton, Cheshire, England. (Photo by Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images) Getty Images

With “Megxit” roiling the British royal family, it turns out that Meghan’s pre-Harry statement about Trump turned out to be prescient in certain ways. She and Harry look like they will be living in Canada part of the time for the foreseeable future, though they may ultimately settle in the United States — once Trump is out of office, friends of the couple have told the Daily Mail.

The ultimate aim of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex is to base their home, charitable endeavors and other business dealings in the United States, possibly in Los Angeles, Meghan’s hometown, the friends told the Daily Mail.

“It’s by no means an immediate thing but there is a long-term plan to end up back in the US with a second home in Canada, where they will also spent a great deal of time,” the source told The Daily Mail.

It also would make sense that some of Meghan’s concerns about returning to a Trump-led America has to do with the president’s racist rhetoric. During her time in the U.K., the biracial duchess has faced racist online abuse and media coverage, defenders say.

Meghan is currently in Canada, holed up in the mansion on Vancouver Island where she, Harry and their baby son Archie spent their extended holiday break, according to reports.

Meghan was expected to “dial in” at about 6 a.m. Monday PST to the “crisis” talks Harry is having with Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Charles and Prince William about her and her husband’s future, the Daily Mail said. The media-dubbed “royal showdown” follows their stunning announcement last week that they wanted to step away from being senior royals.

During the talks, Meghan, Harry, Charles, William and the queen are expected to work out details of the couple’s royal titles, finances, security and future royal responsibilities.

In their announcement, Meghan and Harry expressed the desire to “balance” their time between the U.K. and North America. People have assumed they meant Canada, in part because it is a Commonwealth country.

But a friend of the couple told the Daily Mail that they used the term North America deliberately, instead of Canada specifically, because it wouldn’t “pin them down to any one place.”

Right now, the negotiations over Meghan and Harry’s future responsibilities and home …read more

Source:: The Mercury News – Entertainment

      

(Visited 4 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *