Culture

Authorities: Man ‘stalked’ and ‘sniped’ women, girls in South Bay pellet gun shootings


Nicholas Edward Montoya, 38, of Campbell, has been charged with a series of pellet gun attacks targeting primarily girls and women in San Jose and Campbell. (San Jose Police Dept.)

SAN JOSE — A man “lurked and stalked” seven people — mostly girls and women — he chose at random before shooting them with a high-powered pellet gun over the past few months in San Jose and Campbell, authorities szid — adding that most of his victims still carry the pellets in their bodies because of how they were targeted.

Nicholas Edward Montoya, 38, of Campbell, has been charged with a series of pellet gun attacks targeting primarily girls and women in San Jose and Campbell. (San Jose Police Dept.) 

Police and prosecutors say 38-year-old Campbell resident Nicholas Edward Montoya had no connection to any of the victims of the attacks. Dating back to April, the shootings injured four women, two girls and one man.

“These were deliberate snipe attacks on innocent victims including a 9-year-old girl, a 15-year-old girl, and several other young women,” said Marisa McKeown, a supervising Santa Clara County deputy district attorney.

Montoya was arrested Tuesday at his home and charged Wednesday with seven counts of assault with a deadly weapon and seven counts of battery causing serious bodily injury, all felonies.

The assault counts also include charging enhancements for causing serious bodily injury; he faces up to 21 years in prison if convicted on all charges. He is being held without bail at the Elmwood men’s jail in Milpitas.

On Thursday, the San Jose Police Department and Santa Clara County District Attorney’s Office provided more details about the investigation that ended with Montoya’s arrest. They were accompanied by the 9-year-old victim’s father, who said his daughter was hit in the back June 10 while walking up some stairs at an apartment complex near Westgate Mall, apparently from across the street.

SAN JOSE, CA – AUGUST 4: Robert Lara takes part in a press conference on Thursday, Aug. 4, 2022, in San Jose, Calif. Lara’s daughter was shot and injured by a pellet gun, police have arrested 38-year-old Nicholas Edward Montoya in connection with the shooting. (Aric Crabb/Bay Area News Group) 

Robert Lara, father of 9-year-old Marisol, said the pellet that hit her is still lodged near her pelvic bone, and that doctors have opted not to remove it with the hope it dislodges naturally.

“There are some fears for lead poisoning but we’re hoping she makes a full recovery,” Lara said. “She’s doing very well so far, and is getting ready for school.”

Lara said he remains at a loss for why someone would want to harm his child.

“Grown men are out there performing these despicable terrorist-like attacks on young women,” Lara said. “As a father I would like to see justice in this situation, but I know it takes time.”

The pellet-gun shootings that have been charged span from April 11 to June 15, starting with an attack in which a developmentally disabled woman was shot and suffered a punctured lung and fractured rib, leaving the pellet lodged near her spine. A man was shot in the neck on April 25; police suspect that the woman he was walking with was targeted …read more

Source:: The Mercury News – Entertainment

      

(Visited 17 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *