Culture

After decades of sex abuse claims, state moves to stop former Santa Clara chief pediatrician from practicing medicine


The state of California has taken its first formal action to end the medical career of Santa Clara County’s former chief pediatrician for children in foster care, 20 years after allegations surfaced that he had sexually abused boys living in his home and patients as young as 6 years old.

An accusation filed Friday by the state Attorney General seeks to pull the medical license of Patrick Clyne, 59, charging him with “unprofessional acts” and “gross negligence,” based on his treatment of six patients, ages 6 to 16. The filing details accounts of sexually abusive exams on children in Clyne’s private practice near Watsonville between 2014 and 2019, alleging he told them to walk naked in his office and examined their genitals without gloves or apparent medical necessity.

The recent accusations are strikingly similar to reports about Clyne’s exams that Santa Clara County health, law enforcement and medical authorities have received since 2001.

Dr. Patrick Clyne 

“I’m furious that here we are 15, 20 years later, and there are six more victims of this guy,” said Dana Scruggs, a Santa Cruz County attorney representing a former foster youth who sued Clyne last year alleging he sexually abused him as a young child. “Over a period of 20 years, with the number of kids that have come forward: What is he doing with a license to practice medicine?”

Attempts on Monday to reach Clyne at his office and through his attorney were unsuccessful. But in the past, he has denied allegations from more than a dozen children — abused and neglected kids who lived with him when he was a licensed foster parent, or whom he treated in the Santa Clara County children’s shelter or public hospital — describing their reports as lies or misunderstandings. He has never been arrested.
Clyne, who in recent years has been practicing pediatrics with low-income clients in a rural, immigrant community south of Santa Cruz, can fight the medical board and the attorney general’s office in the administrative courts, if he chooses. He can also continue to practice medicine until his case is resolved.

It isn’t clear why the medical board took action now, and a spokesperson declined to comment Monday, citing the confidentiality of an ongoing case.

In addition to allegations of improper exams, the Feb. 19 filing accuses Clyne of failing to properly prescribe and monitor psychotropic prescriptions for patients with attention-deficit disorders. The rare scrutiny follows a Mercury News investigation that led to a 2016 state law requiring the medical board to prioritize “investigations of repeated acts of excessive prescribing, furnishing, or administering psychotropic medications to a minor.”

Abuse allegations against Clyne surfaced most recently in a civil suit filed in Santa Cruz Superior Court last year on behalf of Kyle, a former foster youth identified by first name only. Kyle has long told authorities that Clyne sexually abused him, beginning when he was 8 years old and placed in the pediatrician’s home between 1995 and 1998.

And according to court records, Clyne has been accused …read more

Source:: The Mercury News – Entertainment

      

(Visited 17 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *