Culture

25 years to life for man who kidnapped, raped 11-year-old California girl 2 decades ago


A Chicago man who kidnapped and repeatedly raped an 11-year-old girl in Santa Ana more than two decades ago was sentenced Friday, May 10 to 25 years to life in prison.

Ismael Salgado, now 44, was convicted earlier this year of five counts of rape, as well as kidnapping to commit a sex crime, related to a series of sexual assaults over a roughly two hour period on Feb. 3, 1999.

The sexual assaults of the 11-year-old girl  went unsolved for more than 15 years until a DNA hit led police to Salgado and a man he was friends with at the time of the abduction. That former friend — Jose Andres Plascencia — was also convicted and sentenced last year to 25 years to life in prison.

The victim — in a statement read to the court by a prosecutor — wrote that the kidnapping and rapes had left her “the shell of a person I should have been,” and told Salgado that “the things you have done can never be forgiven …

“It is like a bad movie that plays over and over again, haunting me,” the victim wrote. “You have damaged me physically and mentally in ways words cannot describe.”

Orange County Superior Court Judge Steven Bromberg described Salgado’s actions as “vicious and callous,” adding that what the victim went through was “unimaginable.”

The judge said, “Clearly time does not heal the wounds in a case like this.”

The girl was walking with a 13-year-old friend on Monta Vista Avenue when Salgado, then 19, drove up next to them. Salgado and Plascencia — a passenger in the vehicle — “cat-called” the girls and convinced them to get into the car.

The girls quickly changed their minds, and the 13-year-old was able to get out of the car. But Salgado grabbed the 11-year-old by her hair and kept her in the vehicle as it pulled away, telling her, “We are going to rape you.”

Salgado drove to a gas station, according to testimony, where Plascencia kept his hand over the girl’s mouth while Salgado went inside to pay.

Related Articles

Crime and Public Safety |

Man accused in two 1979 Monterey County homicides cannot be charged due to mental illness

Crime and Public Safety |

Accused killer of 14-year-old Bay Area girl in 1982 faces September trial

Crime and Public Safety |

He was seen walking into a downtown Oakland high-rise, then disappeared until a grisly discovery in the hills. Police say they now have the answers

Crime and Public Safety |

Cold case homicide victim identified decades after …read more

Source:: The Mercury News – Entertainment

      

(Visited 4 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *