Usa news site

Thousands of Gary residents without power after last week’s deadly storms

Thousands of Gary residents remained without power Monday after last week’s storms wrecked havoc on northwest Indiana.

While Monday was the first day without rain in over a week, several downed trees still littered Gary’s streets. Most stop lights were out. Several crews worked on power lines and residents cleaned outside their homes and yards.

Kimberly Guajardo, who has lived in Gary for over 20 years, said she and her husband have been without power since Aug. 11. Several large trees on their property were knocked over or missed large branches. They had sheltered in their basement during the worst of the storm with their daughter and three grandchildren.

“We’re alive and we have a home,” said Guajardo, standing among the debris in her front yard. “I know a lot of people that have lost their entire homes. I’ve got loved ones that their houses had to be demolished. They lost everything they had.”

Their generator wasn’t working, but they said they were grateful to have running water.

Several Gary residents, including Guajardo’s sister, use well water, which requires power to pump water through a home’s pipes. Her sister has come by each day to collect water in plastic jugs. Guajardo used a solar-powered battery to charge her phone and coolers to keep their food fresh. They used candles to light their home.

“We’re living in the 1700s but we’re making it work,” she said.

Kimberly Guajardo stands among downed tree branches on her property.

Anthony Vazquez/Sun-Times

Last week’s weather was some of the worst she’s experienced in Gary. And people are handling the devastation from the storm differently, she said. Some are lending a helping hand to their neighbors. Some others are arguing on Facebook or getting in fights in long lines at gas stations.

“We just have to come together as a community and try to help each other the best we can and get through this best we can,” said Guajardo, who was born in Chicago and grew up in Alabama. “Right now is not the time to argue. It’s the time to come together and get things done.”

As of Monday afternoon, over 100,000 Indiana residents were still without power, according to the state’s utility company NIPSCO. Over 300,000 people lost power because of the storm.

A temporary protective ground attached to power lines as utility lineworkers restore power on the 3600 block of Burr Street in Gary.

Anthony Vazquez/Sun-Times

Down power lines on the 3600 block of Burr Street in Gary, Indiana.

Anthony Vazquez/Sun-Times

The utility — which says the widespread power outage was one of the largest in its history — reported that 90% of residents should have their power back by Tuesday and the rest should by Friday. Gary is among the cities most impacted by the power outage.

At least seven people across Indiana were killed during the storms, according to the Associated Press.

Down the street from Guajardo, Earl Betts picked up a gas can from his friend. He also was still without power, but he has a gas-powered generator to keep the lights on and watch a little TV at night. He sheltered from the storm in his friend’s basement. When he tried to go home later, most streets were blocked by trees and had significant flooding.

“I’m working it out. I’m still eating, still got water and a roof over my head,” said Betts, 60. “At a time like this, I look at it as a sign for people to kind of humble themselves and try and come together.”

Betts and Guajardo were both unsure when their power would return. They hoped its on before Gary is expected to be hit again with rain later this week.

Earl Betts has been without power for nearly a week. He’s using a gas-powered generator to keep the lights on.

Anthony Vazquez/Sun-Times

Exit mobile version